Friday 23 September 2011

A Day of Sandwiches

My husband made a delicious breakfast for me this morning - a toasted tomato sandwich on whole wheat chia bread. I'd forgotten how much I love toasted tomato sandwiches until I took the first bite! It's such a simple sandwich, but yet it's so tasty, especially with the Vegenaise. I haven't had one of these sandwiches in months and oh, how I've missed them!

Lunch was leftovers for me but the children wanted to have a bun with peanut butter and bananas and cucumbers and tomatoes on the side. The children seem to really appreciate lunches like this and let's face it, most of us did when we were children as well. This is obviously an inappropriate lunch to take to school due to it's peanut content, but an alternative non-nut butter would be a good choice.


Dinner was another attempt at burgers and fries, which I thought would be a great choice for our dinner guests. This time we tried a new burger recipe that a friend recommended - the veggie burger from Whitewater Cooks. I made a few modifications to the original recipe but I can tell you it was delicious! I also made more potato wedges and decided to accompany the burgers and fries with a carrot salad. I LOVE carrot salad. In this evening's salad I decided to include shredded carrots, shredded cabbage, raisins, dried currents, pumpkin seeds, Vegenaise, dijon mustard, mustard, soy milk, apple cider vinegar (with The Mother) and a bit of salt and pepper. The key is to just lightly coat the veggies with the dressing - if there is too much dressing it just becomes a sloppy mess. 


For dessert we had a vegan chocolate pudding that a friend had recommended. The pudding is made from avocado, dates, cocoa, vanilla and water. I thought it was great! If you love bananas you could even add half of a banana to the food processor when you are mixing the ingredients together. The texture of the pudding was slightly different than a typical milk-based pudding, but I thought it was equally tasty!  


No comments:

Post a Comment