Sunday 2 October 2011

Purging

This weekend was a great success. We spent a great deal of time getting rid of things around the house we are no longer using. We haven't done much of a purge since moving into our house this past December and let me tell you, it felt great!

We also managed to use up much of the food in our fridge that was been waiting to be eaten. While I still have to use up the eggplant, zucchini, cauliflower and some beets, we are well on our way to clearing out our fridge!

Today's breakfast was a hit with one and all. My husband decided to make breakfast wraps while he let me sleep in - a special thank you to my husband! The wraps included peanut butter, banana slices, apple slices and raisins. He also added a slight bit of maple syrup to sweeten it up, which I don't really think it needed, but it was good all the same.


Lunch included something we've never tried before - tempeh. We decided on the Coconut Curry flavour because we LOVE curry.



It just so happened that we also had some leftover stir fried veggies from Thursday's dinner that needed to be used up. We pan fried the tempeh and reheated the veggies and decided to put both together on, you guessed it, another wrap - we're trying to use them up before they expire on October 6th. This was a very satisfying warm wrap, filled with nothing but flavour and wonderful textures.


We were so busy re-organizing and purging items in our basement that we decided on a quick and convenient meal - a Tofurky Italian Sausage and Fire-Roasted Veggie Pizza with a spinach salad. I don't like packaged meals, especially on the weekend when I usually have more time to cook, but we decided that if we were going to make any headway on the basement we couldn't spend too long in the kitchen.


The pizza was surprisingly good, but I feel I could have made a better one had I had the time to put a dough together and fire-roast my own toppings. Before we started the vegan challenge we would frequently make pizza, often when I had some leftover items in the fridge that needed to be used up. We love pizza in our house and my daughter was excited to finally have one of her favourite meals again. If you can't find the time to put together your own pizza then I would recommend this one.

The meal also included a super friendly and nutritious salad put together by my husband. The salad included spinach, orange, shelled hemp seeds, radishes and grape tomatoes. The dressing was an olive oil, sun-dried tomato and balsamic vinaigrette. It was very refreshing!

 
I can't believe we have only three days left of our challenge. These past 27 days have gone by in a flash. We have some major dietary decisions to make for our family in the coming days. Now back to the basement!


No comments:

Post a Comment